New York City has to be one of my favourite cities around the world. A friend of mine is off to the concrete jungle these holidays and has asked for a few of my top tips… here we go Erin!
1. I highly recommend taking the hop on hop off bus tour. It’s a great way to familiarise yourself with the different areas, major sights and learn a few interesting facts along the way. You’ll be able to hit all the major tourist destinations by using the bus and I really enjoyed the New Yorker attitude and sense of humour from the guides!
It’s definitely worthwhile heading up to Harlem and across to Brooklyn on the bus, as well as taking in the sights at night. It was summer when we were there so we sat up top, however you’ll need to rug up warm Erin!
2. We decided to go up the Rockerfeller Centre to the Top of The Rock observation deck as that gave us a great view of the Empire State Building for photos. We went for the sun and stars ticket option so we were able to go twice in one day and head back at sunset to watch the lights across the city come on. It was amazing!
3. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge so you can take a number of iconic photos and get a great view of the city.
4. Visit the Meatpacking District which is full of amazing restaurants and high end designer clothing stores, as well as the super cool High Line, a 30ft high abandoned stretch of elevated railway tracks that have been transformed in parkland.
5. Obviously a visit to New York wouldn’t be complete without a trip to Times Square. Standing amongst the crowds, looking up at the dazzling advertising billboards, as yellow cubs buzz around the square is a quintessential New York moment. While there take a trip to M & M’s world for some tasty treats!
6. Make sure you go to Century 21 the best ever discount department store. Here I had a Cinderella moment when I discovered a pair of Manolo Blahnik heels for $150 actually fit! Major endorphin rush!!!
7. Go for brunch! We had the most amazing brunch in the West Village before walking to the High Line. It was delicious, service was amazing and worth every penny of the tip! Have a read over this Time Out article for brunch recommendations.
8. Walk everywhere. We stumbled across so many amazing things walking the streets; New York is a city of districts each with their own style, culture, and tale to tell.
Any New York tips for Erin please comment!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone and have the most amazing holiday Erin x